What is PANORAMA?
A serverless approach to Open edX™ analytics
Open source technology is a powerful change maker. Once the platform is shared with the community, a fascinating process begins: developers and users all around the world start tinkering with the software and, most importantly, they start creating new features and new use-cases looking to address goals that the original developers have not imagined in its conception. Open edX™ is not an exception to this approach.
Thousands of Open edX™ implementations around the world are powering edtech initiatives for educational institutions, universities, academies, NGOs and companies of all sizes.
The adoption of Open edX™ has been growing since its origins as a MOOC platform with an accelerated pace in recent times due to covid and lockdown challenges.
This broad adoption sometimes challenges the native perspectives. And this is the case for the analytics tools. Most of the existing analytics tools for Open edX™ are course-focused, as the MOOC dynamic provide valuable insights with this perspective.
But for other use-cases, a more comprehensive approach is needed:
- An academy wants to see the complete list of enrollments, engagement indicators and performance of a particular student.
- A university wants to track the performance of the students of a specific career composed by a set of courses.
- An academy wants to be able to see which courses are more appealing to students and at the same time, which ones provide the major revenue sources.
PANORAMA an innovative approach
In order to tackle this diverse spectrum of analysis, at Aulasneo we have developed PANORAMA: a flexible analytics engine that can be easily customized and adapted to the specific needs of each organization running online courses via Open edX™.
Panorama is an analytics engine that enable organizations using Open edX™ to deliver online courses to create its own management dashboards.
The leaders of the institutions can have a high level view of the enrollments, student performance and engagement at an organization level, while having at the same time the possibility to drill down on specific courses or students if needed.
The analytics views can also be customized setting different access levels, such as:
- Admin view: permissions to see all dahsboards available for the organization.
- Instructor view: permissions to see a detailed view of courses where they are part as staff in a unique dashboard.
- Student view: permissions to see all the stats of the courses where they are enrolled in a centralized dashboard.
- Partner view: in organizations that have multiple learning partners, the can provide them a dashboard read only user that can exclusively track the activities of the courses for that specific partner.
- Data scientist power user: organizations can have power-users to create their own dashboards linking different datasets and establishing tailored-made data analysis.
The enhancing features of Panorama also include options to integrate with ecommerce modules in order to keep track of revenues and any additional information that is generated by an external system linked to the LMS (such as HR software).
Aulasneo Panorama is entirely based on AWS serverless components, without any EC2 instance.
Our development follows the following logic, that provides scalability and flexibility:
Data gathering > Data pre-processing >Tracking log data needs some pre-processing > Data extraction > Data lake > Data querying > Data presentation
Thanks to its fully serverless architecture, Panorama is*:
Faster to implement: up in a few minutes.
Simpler: no code, no Open edX code change, no application to install
More scalable: worldwide integration of multiple Open edX instances
More flexible: easily integrates with external datasources
More controllable: granular control to data access
More customizable: easily create your own reports
Smarter: use ML to augment data
More durable: mostly independent of Open edX releases
Safer: it doesn’t require open ports or APIs for data extraction
More secure: control access with IAM
More reliable: based on a serverless architecture
More efficient: it doesn’t load heavily the Open edX instances
Easier to maintain: no OS, no dependencies, no infrastructure
Cheaper: it’s cost model is based on use
*Compared to similar systems based on traditional webapp architectures
AI and ML enhanced analysis
With PANORAMA the analysis possibilities are not limited to historical data gathered from the platform. The dashboards can include predictions using Machine Learning and AI tools to plan different scenarios. This use cases can help all kind of organizations plan and shape its goals with a data-driven perspective.
PANORAMA is available for all Open edX™ instances.
Panorama is available for all Open edX™ implementations. It is part of our Open edX™ hosted solutions at Aulasneo, as part of our software as a service (SaaS) offering.
PANORAMA can also be implemented in self-hosted implementations. For these cases a set up is established to connect to the Open edX™ instances and access is provided for 3 essential dashboards.
If you want to know more or schedule a demo session, please contact us by clicking this link